For These Three Students, CRTC is a Family Affair


Jack, Tommy and Peter Sargent have three things in common: they are brothers, they’re each enrolled in the CRTC Emergency Services program, and they all share the same birth date.


“We grew up listening to stories about our grandfather’s and great-grandfather’s experiences in the New York City Fire Department,” said Peter Sargent, who is three minutes younger than brother Jack and two minutes younger than Tommy. “Those stories got me interested in this career field, but once I got into the CRTC Emergency Services program and hit those ride-alongs, it really became infectious.”


All three brothers are Concord High School seniors, and all are members of the CHS wrestling and football teams (Jack and Peter are co-captains of the wrestling team). Peter has completed Year II of the Emergency Services program, and currently is participating in the CRTC+ program, where he’ll be entering the NH Fire Academy to earn his Firefighter I Certificate. Jack and Tommy are Year I students, having come to the program after hearing about Peter’s experiences.


“The opportunity to explore careers is an awesome opportunity,” said Jack. “I didn’t know what I wanted to do, but I decided that both my brothers were in it, so I’d give it a try. The chance to try out a career while still in high school was a huge thing for me.”


The CRTC Emergency Services program provides students with foundational education and experience that help to prepare them for a career as a first responder to medical, fire and other emergencies. Students learn from active paramedics, EMTs and firefighter instructors, connect with local fire departments and participate in both emergency response ride-alongs with local departments and training exercises at the NH Fire Academy.


The triplets' parents are very happy that all three brothers are involved in a career-focused program, said Peter. “I was struggling throughout my sophomore year and my mom encouraged me to apply to the CRTC,” he added. “I just fell in love with it, completely.”


Their mother, Patricia Sargent, said she’s grateful that her sons have the opportunity to participate in the Emergency Services program. She said that the hands-on aspect of the program has provided them with the chance to develop both skills and confidence.


“So many kids graduate high school without a clear direction for their future,” she said. “The CRTC has provided my sons with direction in a career path. Of all the experiences they’ve had at Concord High School, CRTC has been the most influential and beneficial.”


Jack, Tommy and Peter agree, saying that these kinds of career-focused experiences at the high school level are both eye opening and door opening.


“It is the greatest experience you can have in high school, and the best decision I’ve ever made,” said Peter. “It’s amazing what the CRTC will do for you!”


The CRTC is currently recruiting students for the 2021-22 school year. Visit our website and check out our brochure for more information about the CRTC and directions on how to apply. 


Click here for more information about the CRTC Emergency Services Program.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog