Meet Our Teachers: 

Gail Beaudoin, Criminal Justice


CRTC programs are a blend of rigorous academics and applied learning that provide students with the opportunity to explore their interests, talents and career ambitions. The lynchpin in these programs is the unique character of the CRTC teacher, who typically has years of industry experience before making the transition to the classroom. 


The CRTC Criminal Justice teacher, Gail Beaudoin, has over three decades of law enforcement experience, including 11 years as a Criminal Bureau detective, and was the first female in the Chelmsford, MA, Police Department to attain the rank of Lieutenant. She holds a master’s degree in Criminal Justice from UMass, and spent 15 years as an adjunct professor in Criminal Justice at UMass, Lowell. Learn a little more about our Criminal Justice teacher by reading this month’s CRTC Teacher Q & A.


How long have you been a Career and Technical Education teacher?

I’ve been teaching Criminal Justice at the CRTC for four years, and I taught Criminal Justice as an adjunct professor at UMass, Lowell, for 15 years before that.


What industry experience did you bring into the classroom with you?

I have 32 years in law enforcement. My first eleven years were spent as a patrol officer, the next two years was as a community service officer, twelve years as a detective, four years as a sergeant and I finished the last three years of my career as a lieutenant overseeing my shift and officers.


What excites you about being a CTE teacher?

What excites me the most is sharing all of my personal experiences from on the job with my students. It makes it more real for them rather than learning strictly from a textbook. I wasn't fortunate enough to have a program like this available when I was in high school. It would have guided my thinking about career choices, and I would have had a better knowledge of the Criminal Justice field upon entering it.


What part of your job gives you the most satisfaction?

This one is easy, the students. Making a difference in their lives is so important to me. I am often taken aback when a student tells me that this is their favorite class or that the only reason they like coming to school is because of the Criminal Justice program. What more could I ever ask for!


What would you tell a student or parent about the benefits of a CRTC education?

I would say that this program will give their child an added edge if they are interested in any job in the Criminal Justice field. They will leave the program with possible college credits, FEMA/ OSHA certifications, resume writing and interviewing skills and personal connections in this career field because of the weekly guest speakers that come into the classroom from all areas of the Criminal Justice profession. This is a great learning environment because every student in the class is there because they are also interested in the same career field. It is a win-win all around.


What do you do when you’re not teaching Criminal Justice?

I love spending time with my siblings. We often vacation together and really enjoy each other's company. I love the weekends/vacations with my husband, especially traveling with our friends on motorcycle and horseback, exploring this beautiful country. I love to exercise and was once an avid runner, having run two marathons and hundreds of other road races. Most recently I have taken up indoor cycling, enjoying my Peloton and the many added health benefits it provides.


Click Here to learn more about the CRTC Criminal Justice program.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog