Meet Our Teachers: 

Valerie Koch, Education & Behavioral Science


CRTC programs are a blend of rigorous academics and applied learning that provide students

with the opportunity to explore their interests, talents and career ambitions. The lynchpin in

these programs is the unique character of the CRTC teacher, who typically has years of industry

experience before making the transition to the classroom. 


Learn a little more about our Education & Behavioral Science teacher, Val Koch, by reading this

month’s CRTC Teacher Q & A.


How long have you been a Career and Technical Education teacher?

I have been teaching at the CRTC for 20 years. In fact, I am an alumni of the CRTC Education

program!


What industry experience did you bring into the classroom with you?

I was a part-time preschool teacher during college, and a special education teacher for three

years at MVHS before I began teaching for the CRTC almost twenty years ago. 


What excites you about being a CTE teacher?

One of the most exciting aspects of teaching CTE is that the program and curriculum is

 constantly evolving to meet the needs and interests of our students. For example, my program

used to only focus on training future teachers. When we saw a shift in student interest, I

expanded the program to include behavioral science. This has created a wonderful challenge

for me to learn more about counseling and psychology and to implement new content. Another

program improvement driven by students is expanding our field work program. First and second

year students are able to customize their field work experiences so that they can work with

children of various ages and in many different settings twice per week. 


What part of your job gives you the most satisfaction?

I feel so lucky to be able to be a part of my students' professional journey. When I meet them as

first year students, they have a strong desire to make a positive impact on children's lives, but

they may not know exactly what that will look like. I get to help them refine their interests and

solidify their plans over the two years in the EBS program. I am able to witness their success as

they move on to college and get their first professional jobs. It is truly a gift to teach the EBS

program!


What would you tell a student or parent about the benefits of a CRTC education?

CRTC programs give students unique advantages and opportunities. There are so many

benefits of joining the Education & Behavioral Science program. Students can complete the

EBS program with 16 college credits from SNHU at a greatly reduced cost. The field work

opportunities and involvement in the Educators Rising NH organization give students

confidence, high level practical skills, deep understanding of theory, and help achieving their

plans for the future.  


What do you do when you’re not teaching Education & Behavioral Science?

I love musical theater and take tap dance classes as often as I can. I also love to read, spend 

time with my family and friends, and travel. 


Click Here to learn more about the CRTC Education & Behavioral Science program.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog