Student’s Career Passions Find a Match in CRTC Emergency Services II



Growing up, Olivia Anderson had a passion for helping people out. So when she heard about the CRTC Emergency Services program at the sophomore recruitment assembly, she went online to check it out. What she learned about the program intrigued and excited her, so she filled out her application and has never looked back.

“I knew I was interested in this career field when I applied, but after taking that first year I was really hooked,” Olivia said. “This is the coolest thing I’ve ever done.”


Olivia, a Concord High School student, started the Emergency Services I program in her junior year, where she earned three college credits in a Lakes Region Community College course (taught at the CRTC by an LRCC professor), participated in Concord Fire Department ride alongs, and earned her CPR/First Aid certification.


As a senior, Olivia is taking Emergency Services II and participating in the CRTC+ program, which provides motivated students the opportunity to customize their schedules to jumpstart postsecondary plans. Last fall, Olivia took two on-campus LRCC courses - that earned her six college credits and her EMT certification. She also has established an affiliation with the Salisbury Fire Department, and is now enrolled in the Advanced EMT course at LRCC during her spring semester.


"This is unprecedented for a student to leave high school with both EMT Basic and Advanced certifications," said CRTC Program Coordinator Kate Amrol. "This puts Olivia ahead of most in her goal to be a paramedic."


The CRTC Emergency Services program helps students to build the foundation for a career as a first responder to medical, fire and other emergency situations. First year students learn from active career professionals about the entire field of emergency services. Second year students pursue options within and beyond the school walls, including on-campus college classes, off-site EMT certification classes, and/or Firefighter I at the NH Fire Academy in Concord. A handful of students also can enroll in the CRTC Health Science II EMT program.


Olivia said that the best thing about the CRTC is that it helps students to connect their interests and passions to actual careers, and to learn what it would be like to work in that career field before they graduate high school.


“When I started high school I was scared about what I was going to do with my life, and now here I am applying to colleges, making connections and stepping into my future," Olivia said. “Things in my life are settling into place … it’s super exciting!”


Click Here to learn more about the CRTC Emergency Services program.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog