ELOs Help Health Science Students Explore a Variety of Careers



Elizabeth Guertin wants to be a dentist. And so while most second year CRTC Health Science students were working toward their LNA license or EMT certification during the last school year, Elizabeth was job shadowing with a number of Concord area dentists. That exposure blossomed into an internship with a local dental practice and enrollment into the pre-dental program at the University of New England.


“Thanks to my extended learning opportunity (ELO), I was able to explore the different specialities within the dental field and build a network within the local dental community,” the former Bow High School student said. “I will be applying a year early to dental school, and all the clinical hours and experiences I have from my Health Science ELO will be valid in my application!”


Most CRTC Health Science students join the program because they are interested in becoming nurses or working in trauma, said Health Science teacher Brian Beauman. As a result, the focus of much of the program’s second year is on LNA and EMT education, training and work-based learning experiences on ambulance ride alongs or in local nursing homes. However, there’s a wide range of career pathways under the Health Science umbrella, and an increasing number of students are taking part in ELOs exploring those fields, he said.


Past Health Science student ELO experiences have included independent study in the fields of radiology, sonography, prosthetics, pediatrics, occupational therapy and psychiatry. This school year there are eight students engaged in ELOs that include veterinary science, human genetics, athletic training and fitness, and physical therapy.


“I think it’s important that we offer students a choice to explore career fields that they have an interest in,” Mr. Beauman said. “These ELOs serve as a reality check by either confirming their passions for what they want to do, or letting them know that they don’t want to do this before they spend money in college finding that out.”


For Elizabeth Guertin, her ELO experience confirmed her interest in a career in dentistry, and set her up for success at the postsecondary level.


“I will never forget the CRTC,” she said. “I truly believe the education and experience I gained there helped me to get to where I am today.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog